"I prefer to regard a dessert as I would imagine the perfect woman: subtle, a little bittersweet, not blowsy and extrovert. Delicately made up, not highly rouged. Holding back, not exposing everything and, of course, with a flavor that lasts." ~Graham Kerr

Saturday 26 February 2011

Long time no write

It has been a long time since my first post. Work on Move Over, Cupcake had to slow down for the holidays but really picked up speed in the last week. I opened a bank account, which means MOC is ready to do real business, got quotes for insurance (whew!), met with a designer/illustrator called Tania who understood exactly what I wanted from the brand - a great meeting of minds that left me feeling excited and pumped up about the whole project. Cant wait for her first samples!
And also got two new clients! One for a christening next weekend so will be posting photos soon of the finished products.
I also experimented with two new flavours which will be making their way into the flavour list, Honey and Ginger and Tiramisu.
The idea for the Honey and Ginger came from Tania, who handed me a box of these sweet and spicy chews, and asked me to see if I could do something with them. The chews are a fiery, yet sweet and zingy combination of honey and ginger, absolutely amazing! The challenge was to tweak the flavours so they would suit a delicate macaron. I thought about using real ginger but that would have overwhelmed the macaron, so opted for the more subtle heat of candied ginger. I added honey to the buttercream and the result was pretty good!!

I added some sparkle to the piped batter. Surely such a zingy, sparkly macaron deserves a few stars!

I used buttercream for the filling, adding Manuka honey and thinly sliced candied ginger.

The end product looked quite pretty I have to say, and tasted quite good too. It wasn't as fiery as the actual chews but it did deliver a kick, like taking a bite out of the sun! Definitely going on the flavour list.

1 comment: